Friday 1 July 2011

365/365: A year's worth of happy moments

Wow. A whole year! It's been an interesting and enjoyable process, documenting the small good things on a (mostly) daily basis. Occassionally I read back through the happy moments, my mood invariably lifting as I scroll through all the good stuff laid out here - one moment after another, a cavalcade of reminders of why life doesn't always suck (just some of the time).

It's nice to have a ruthlessly edited record of my year that only presents the good things and omits the bad, like an Australian History schoolbook from the 50's.

What stands out about this exercise? Well, it's amazing how many of these posts are cycling related. I really think cycling has contributed to my mental wellbeing greatly over the last few years; not so much for the fitness benefits as much as the experience of being outdoors in all weather; travelling at a gentle pace; having strangers fuss over my beautiful bike; and most of all, engaging with the environment as you travel through it.

I can't recommend it enough. Choosing a bike over a car has literally been life changing for me.

Overwhelmingly, being near my family once again has provided me with so many happy moments since I've come home; we spend a lot of time laughing together. I feel so lucky to have my two wonderful brothers and their beautiful partners in my life. I feel lucky to have two lovely parents who I adore and whose visits brighten my day. I feel lucky to have wonderful friends who include me in their lives, let me play with their kids, and listen to me whinge about my love life. I feel lucky to have a beautiful, bright flat to live in, surrounded by all my favourite things.

(I'm beginning to feel like Hugh Laurie in this scene from Blackadder III).

I feel lucky blessed. I am so fortunate, and this blog has made me more aware of that.

Thanks for joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment